Thursday, June 21, 2007

Drought '07


I don’t know about you, but I am ready for the Louisville Summer ’07 drought to come to an end. Everywhere one looks, he can see the ramifications of intense heat with very little rain. Flowers and vegetation have begun to wither up and brown. The Kentucky “Bluegrass” is not blue or green, but tan. (Although, I must confess that I enjoy not mowing my lawn with such frequency.) Large Cracks split the normally fertile Kentuckiana soil, as the Beech, Dogwood, and Oak trees pant for the morning dew. A dusty air adds to the already treacherous Ohio Valley air quality and sweltering heat haunts our every move. Rain is a welcome thought in many of our minds.

When I ponder our geographical drought, it reminds me of how spiritual dryness can be just as evident. As I consider my own personal spiritual “dry seasons,” my heart is often hard like the ground and the fruit of the Spirit in my life dims like the color of flowers. I do not hunger for the Bible as I ought, listen with anticipation at the preaching of God’s Word as before, feel sensitivity toward sin, or burn to tell others about Christ. In those seasons of spiritual drought, my tongue is filled with complaining rather than gratefulness and gossip rather than encouragement. Hosea 6:3 says:

“So let us know, let us press on to know the Lord. His going forth is as certain as the dawn; And He will come to us like the rain, Like the spring rain watering the earth.”

Do not let this summer be a spiritually dry time for you. As this verse says, press on to know the Lord. We need to repent of our sin and pursue hard after Christ. God delights in having intimacy with His children, and He will overcome our dryness with the rain of His joy. Pray and seek Him in His Word wholeheartedly this summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't checked your site out for quite some time...I'm so glad I did. Your entry was so good. Very encouraging.
Thank you,
Angela Hatfield

Brad and Elicia Walker said...

Angela,

Great to hear from you. I hope your crew is doing well. Tell your hubbie that I would like the Christmas Cupid to come visit me!